Portugal is ranked no. 3rd in GPI or Global Peace Index. Making it one of the safest country in the world to travel, one can travel here without any hassle. This article is to up your adrenaline quotient and go for top 7 exotic adventure activities to up your wanderlust.
Let’s go get crazy,
- Kayaking in the upper Douro – Douro international park gives shelter and residence to Eagles, Wild wolf packs and Boars. But you will be far and safe from them. Tras-os-Montes region is super terrific. You can rent a canoe or go with a traditional guided tour
- Zip Lining from Spain – You might be surprised to see Spain’s name in here. But yes, a 720 m distance covering site across the Guadiana river where you can reach speeds as high as 80 Km/Hr. between Portugal’s Algarve & Spain’s Andalucia.
But Why include this when it’s in another country? Trust us, it’s just a small drive to another border but lot of fun quotient is there.
- Solo Skydive – Firstly what’s worth mentioning is that you can actually learn how to sky dive and also get licensed in sky diving from AFF course at Skydive Algarve (Accelerated freefall). You will be taught and made to practice freefall from sky heights at 14000 feet with proper instructions. And soon you will be able to have your first sky dive. (P.S – if time is less you can sign for a tandem last dive)
- Surfing – Portugal has undoubtedly one of the best surfing waves in Europe. Garrett McNamara got the Guinness world record for surfing the biggest wave in history in North Canyon of Nazare. One of the best waves you can find in Coxos, Ericeira, the no. 1 surfing spot in world.
- Riding through Costa Azul – At south of Lisbon is Blue coast (the true hidden gem). Very serene, calm & pristine. It’s best for horse riding out there. Swing into local stables such as Passeios a Cavalo Melides or Cavalos na Areia.
- Bungee Jumping (Water Touch) – Abufeira Marine, South of Portugal is where you should be looking at. Out of only a handful of sites around the globe, Portugal stands strong. A crane takes you as high as 45 meters into air (not a perfect air lift, yeah?), You are now hanging at this height with you head facing sea. Next you pretty much know, your head is dunked in cool Atlantic waters and then flown all the way back to platform.
- Mountain Biking – Now head for Lousa mountains (Coimbra) and explore the avid paths and trails through the way. 27 villages are there to explore too on your way and locals love to serve handmade goods and traditional meals during the term. Still not refreshed? Take a rejuvenating quick dip in ultra-clear rivers or relax on river beaches. Still not content? Try your hand at rock climbing.
Portugal is definitely a dream destination for adventure enthusiasts. These were the top 7 adventure activities but that does not mean the list ends here. There are more than 25 different adventure activities that test you on your gut size.
Thanks for reading!