UNESCO works on a simple aim and that is to Preserve & Protect cultural diversity and heritage having value to human. UNESCO sites have to follow a set criteria and are bound to abide by at least one of the long 10 selection criteria.
While there are many sites in world that are already under the list like Barrier Reef, Australia, Machu-Pichu-Peru or Pyramids of Egypt.
Around 19 new UNESCO world heritage sites have been added recently and we discuss the top 10 of them and also give rest in the list below. So, let’s begin –
- AASIVISSUIT – NIPISAT (COUNTRY – DEMARK, CULTURAL) – In the center of West Greenland & inside Arctic circle lies this property and along with it, the hunting grounds of Inuit between ice and sea and that too around 4200 years old. Large winter houses, caribou hunting evidence are some of the features there. There are 7 key localities around which things work and they are all the way from Nipisat to Aasivissuit’s west side.
- Al-Ahsa Oasis (Country- Saudi Arabia, Cultural) – All the way to Arabian Peninsula, lies a property made of Gardens, Canals, Springs, Wells & drainage lake. Various historic buildings, urban fabric & archaeological sites are also there. From the remaining Historic fortresses, mosques and wells one can trace the continued human settlement in gulf region all the way from Neolithic time to present. The place is largest oasis in world, thanks to 2.5 million date palms.
- Ancient City of Qalhat (Country – Oman, Cultural) – This ancient city, once was a major port on east coast. Also visited by Marco polo.
- Archaeological boarded complex of Hedeby & the Danevirke (Country – Germany, Cultural) – It once flourished as a frequently visited and busy trading center between Europe, Scandinavia, North and Baltic sea routes.
- Barberton Makhonjwa Mountains (Country- South Africa, Natural) – They are between SA and Eswatini and are 3.6-billion-year-old. So they might be the oldest mountains right now. Rocks show best preservation even after billions of years of volcanoes and reformation.
- Chaine des puys – limagne fault tectonic arena (Country – France, Natural) – Under the serene looking pretty meadows of France, lies Violent past, The volcano. This was formed due to constant magma rushing to the surface.
- Chiribiquete National park – “The Maloca of the Jaguar” (Country- Colombia, mixed site) – Largest protected are of Colombia and the presence of table top mountains to stand in thick lush green forest.
- Pimachiowin Aki (Country- Canada, Mixed) – Pimachiowin stands for the land that gives life & is a wild landscape of forests, rivers, streams in Canada. The forest is located in far off areas of Manitoba & Ontario of Canada. It’s a great example for Jiganawendamang Gidakiiminaan , that’s a tough word though! (means keeping the land).
- Fanjingshan (Country – China, Natural) – This highest peak of Wuling Mountains in South China is beautiful beyond doubt.
- Tehuacan – Cuicatlan Valley: Originary habitat of Mesoamerica (Country-Mexico, Mixed) – This lies in the protected naturally arid area of Mexico’s southwest part. It’s the home for densest cacti forest land of columnar types and also gives residence to Agaves, Yuccas & Oaks.
Other sites are – (Cultural)
- Caliphate City of Medina Azahara (Spain)
- Gobekli Tepe (Turkey)
- Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki region (Japan)
- Ivrea, industrial city of the 20th century (Italy)
- Naumburg Cathedral (Germany)
- Sansa, Buddhist Mountain Monasteries in Korea (Republic of Korea)
- Sassanid Archaeological Landscape of Fars region (Islamic Republic of Iran)
- Thimlich Ohinga Archeological site (Kenya)
- Victorian Gothic & Art Deco Ensembles of Mumbai (India)
The list should be helpful for you and should update your GK as well
Thanks, Have a good day.