Australia, the smallest continent (Australasia or Oceania) among all 7 continents on Earth. It has a vast biodiverse land which is home to several centipedes and dangerous spiders.
This article is to see the colors of Australia with some top facts that will leave you flabbergasted.
- Australia is 6th largest Country and 85% of its population lives near beach (it is due to its large and red hot center). 24 million and counting is the population of this country. Equally amazing is the fact that there are more kangaroo population than humans.
- Australia’s Lowest temperature can be as low as 44-46 degrees Fahrenheit. And while many people visit Australia for its beaches and sunshine, not many know that Australian Alps get more snow than that of Swiss!
- Australia is home to popular exotic animal species like Kangaroo, Koala bear, Wombats and Marsupials. Spiders of Australia are one of the largest in world with some recent documentaries sighting as big as 10inches!
- Australia ranks 2nd in HDI – Human Development Index checks various measures such as lifespan, life standard, health etc. and Australia is 2nd after Norway. Aussies can definitely brag about this.
- Australia’s Mountains have pretty weird names – 2 explorers Hamilton Hume & William Hovel in 1824 visited an 800 m long mountain and were expecting to see Port Philipp but due to trees that saw nothing, hence they came out with a very disappointing name, Mount Disappointment.
- The Great Barrier Reef – Australia is the home to largest living structure. Its world’s largest Coral structure even visible from space. Snorkeling and diving along the Cairns or Port Douglas is a common activity. While scientists have claimed that reef is dead in 2016 but corals thrive on it.
- Australia is home to over 70 separate wine regions and you can’t escape the country without tasting one for yourself. New South Wales and Victoria are the major regions and that come on the road trip from Sydney to Melbourne. Flabbergasted areas are Alpine valleys, Tumbarumba. From Perth one can go to western Australia and he/she will not be disappointed.
- Australia is also home to the largest known sand island in the world, Fraser Island. These sandy shores are highlight during your trip to Queensland. One can also spot dingoes on the island (Wild dogs of Australia, famous but aggressive). Lake Mackenzie’s crystal clear blue water is what surrounds this island.
- Uluru, a very vast rock sits in the red center of Australia, listed twice as the UNESCO world heritage sites is one of the amazing places. It is a sacred place for many aboriginal tribes and holds religious sentiments among them. Around 2.5km! rock is underground connected to Olgas, here rock erupts out again! Best seen and experienced during sunset and sunrise.
- The great ocean Road is the world’s largest war memorial site. This is one of the most famous roads in Australia with panoramic views on both sides hosting bushes of wild colorful flowers across the road at certain points. It was built by soldiers returning from WW-1. The road begins from Torquay & ends at Allansford. The road can also be used as an ideal sector road trip between Melbourne & Adelaide.
- Starting from Sydney and all the way to Perth, the railway that moves called India pacific train has the longest straight section of train track in the world.
The continent and country all at the same time, Australia does not share it’s boundary with any continent.
Truly beautiful in nature, This was Abstract of Australia for you with some cool facts.